Networking

George Toft plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 30 Jul 2001 07:16:17 -0700

It's on your CD.  /mnt/cdrom/Redhat/RPMS/samba-blah.rpm

I strongly suggest you revise your network as shown below (use
fixed width font):

gateway ------ firewall ----- hub ----- computer1
                              || \_____ computer2
                              | \______ computer3
                               \_______ computer4

Here's a down and dirty website to set up a Linux Firewall using
Mandrake (Red Hat should be similar):
http://georgetoft.com/linux/firewall/index.html
(this is an old P-120 laptop I had laying around).

Understanding you are new to Linux, you might try a single floppy
based firewall, like Freesco (http://www.freesco.com/) or Coyote
Linux (http://www.coyotelinux.com/).  Some people on this list have
used Freesco, so you have some support here.  I have some Linux
Router Project images on my site that are known to work as LRP
is notorious for being a bitch to set up.

My reasons for this are:
1.  With your current set up, you must be very proactive on keeping
4-6 boxes properly patched.  My method reduces that to 1 box.  You
should keep them all up to date as the firewall is not meant to be a
stand-alone solution, but it gives the crackers up to 83% fewer boxes
to compromise, which lowers your exposure.
2.  There have been some security problems with Samba, and running
this on the Internet is not a good idea.  Neither is using any box
with SMB enabled on the Internet a good idea.

If you think they are not out to get you, be advised I have had
been probed or attacked over 1600 times from 89 different IP
addresses in the last three weeks.

George