Debian woody kernel

John (EBo) David plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 29 Jul 2001 17:59:05 -0700

"der.hans" wrote:

> Am 29. Jul, 2001 schwäzte John (EBo) David so:
>
> > really?  On the suse distro /usr/src/linux is a symbolic link to
> > something like /usr/src/linux-2.4.0-64GB-SMP.  and that does change with
> > every version of the kernel.  Am I missing something here?
>
> That's how most do it. I've seen commentary from Linus claiming it that to
> be stupid. Maybe he's changed his mind.

What does he suggest doing instead?  particularily if you have 3 or 4
different kernals being maintained on a development system?

This actually brings up a rather odd problem I had a while ago (which I
solved by booting from a floppy no less ;-)

The 2.2.* kernals installed the modueal list and dependancies in in such
a way that I had them stepping on each others toes.  The problem, IIRC,
surounded around defining a single shared /boot partition and several
/root partitions (one for each distribution).  The problem was when I
had suse 6.4 and 7.0/7.1 walk all over each others module "map"
definitions.  Is there some sane way to tell the kernal to boot with a
different map? Say /boot/map.2.4.0-64GB-SMP?

OH WAIT!!! I JUST RTF(Lilo)M AND THEY HAVE A "-m map-file" SWITCH...
arrrgggg.... you would not believe how much time I wasted earlier this
year on this one... sheesh!

EBo --