multi-platform GUI choice

Tom Bradford plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 29 Jul 2001 12:41:48 -0700

"John (EBo) David" wrote:
> As a non sequidore, you might be interested in two related projects for
> dbXML...  There is a new EBNF parser called Spirit that is written in
> C++ and uses some of the advanced ISO features of the language.  It was
> intended as a lightweight replacement for much of the YACC/LEX
> functionality that can be embedded into C++ programs.  One of the
> members of the group is writing an XML parser using Spirit.  Spirit is
> available at: http://www.mydestiny.net/~isis-tech/

We're not using C++ anymore...  The project is completely written in
Java now.  We decided to can the C++ code at version 0.2 because we were
finding far too many library incompatiblities and dependencies.  Also
because it was a pain in the ass, even with autoconf, to build the
project on anything but Linux.  If you have a good JIT, and you know
what you're doing with Java I/O and thread programming, it is very
possible to develop a program that performs as well as C++.  Unless
you're doing GUI programming with Swing... Then you're screwed.

The Spirit parser sounds interesting though.  I'm very interested in
lexers, so I'll check it out.

--
Tom Bradford --- The dbXML Project --- http://www.dbxml.org/
We store your XML data a hell of a lot better than /dev/null