The future of Software (Was: August PLUG topic: Kylix)

John (EBo) David plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 28 Jul 2001 05:38:09 -0700

jeffrey l koehn wrote:

>  It's sad that people have been brain washed to the point
> where they have lost their imagination.
> I can think of 5 killer apps that nobody has even
> started developing yet.
> and the current software that has been developed can still
> be improved upon by making it more modular........
>  Yes we have a computer that can do several
> tasks but why should we have to boot
> a whole operating system, when all we want to do
> is use the calculator at one moment, the tv the next, etc.

unless I have my termonology mussed up, technically any operational
piece of software that mucks with the system at its most fundamental
level can be considered it's OS.  Turn on your microwave and it comes up
waiting to be told what power and length of time you want to cook, and
if it is nice it will even tell you the time of day.  But if you mean
booting an OS like Win* or Linux just to use a calculator I see your
point.  If you are interested in following up on this you might want to
take a look at the embeded programming technology.

  EBo --