August PLUG topic: Kylix

Wayne Conrad plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
27 Jul 2001 17:56:01 -0700

On Fri, 27 July 2001, "David P. Schwartz" wrote:

> The stuff inside a box of cereal costs less than the package, yet people seem happy to pay nearly $5/box for cereal these days.  A floppy disk and CD cost more to manufacture than the entire box of cereal.

David, great message.  I do want to as you about your above quote.  I've heard it said (but have no actual data) that the actual manufacturing cost to create a CD, once you have content in your hand, is nearly nothing.  That is, the first CD costs you however many gazillions of dollars, and every CD after that is pennies (or dimes or quarters, but something smaller than the cost of a box of cereal).  That might make the software-as-manufacturing model a bit of a poor fit.  What do you think?

  Wayne