On the origins of the name "Slackware"... (was Re: New to group)

Kevin Buettner plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 14:20:08 -0700

On Jul 25,  1:17pm, Steven M. Klass wrote:

> I too am a "slackie", as a slacker has too many negative connotations..:)

Those of you who are Slackware users may be interested in the origins
of the name.  From a Slashdot interview with Patrick Volkerding:

    How did you come to the name Slackware?  DId it hit you during a
    long nights of smoking from the holy frop with bob?  Did stang
    climb in your window and wisper it in your ear while you were
    asleep?  Was it the Xists?

    Patrick:

    Yeah, ok, I'll admit that it was SubGenius inspired.  In fact,
    back in the 2.0 through 3.0 days we used to print a dobbshead on
    each CD.  The name didn't come from Stang...  I ran into him last
    summer and he asked me if that Red Hat organization was my
    company.  I still think it's a pretty good name.  I've been trying
    to put an ease-of-use spin on it, but it doesn't quite work.  I
    think I'll just start telling people all the good names were taken
    to get them off the subject.

The rest of the interview may be found at

    http://www.slashdot.org/interviews/00/03/17/1120205.shtml

Also, see

    http://www.subgenius.com/

If none of this makes any sense to you, see:

    http://hometown.aol.com/eutychus55/mbob.htm

Kevin