CVS - A cool topic...

Kevin Buettner plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 10:13:48 -0700

On Jul 24, 11:12pm, John (EBo) David wrote:

> who all here has set up a CVS tree and used it?

I have.  (But not recently; all of my work these days is done on trees
that other folks have set up.)

In any event, it's really not that hard to do.  If you're impatient
and don't want to wade through the online book, you can read Jim
Blandy's tutorial at

    http://www.cvshome.org/docs/blandy.html

BTW, I agree that CVS would be a great topic.  I would like to
attend a somewhat advanced session that covers things like:

    1) What is CVSup and what is it good for?

    2) Using rsync to mirror a repository.  (The idea here being that
       a read-only mirror be placed on a local machine.  Commits would
       still be done with respect to the master repository.)

    3) How to automatically commit the same patch to multiple
       repositories (or branches).  (This is something that I
       presently do manually, but I'd love to hear about a way
       to automate it.)

    4) How do you diff between two different dates on a branch?
       (Actually, I don't think this used to be possible, but it
       might be now...)

    5) How do you rename files and directories AND preserve the
       history, tags, etc. associated with the original files?
       (I know of a way to do it, but it isn't pretty.)

    6) Merging: Use the -j switch or use some other tool?
       (I have an opinion on this one too...)

    7) How does one use "cvs import", but avoid the problems described
       in:

	    http://sources.redhat.com/ml/gdb-patches/2000-q1/msg00850.html

       [ I haven't tried it myself, but I understand that the answer to
         this question can be found here:

	    http://www.cygnus.com/~tromey/import.html
       ]

       In any event, I don't think the problems with importing sources
       (after the initial import) are well understood and I would like
       to hear a presentation on it.

(Given time, there's probably other things that I can think of too.)

Kevin