install parties?

Kevin Buettner plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 24 Jul 2001 15:45:21 -0700

On Jul 24, 11:50am, Steven M. Klass wrote:

> > Slackware is a bit rough around the edges. [...]
>
> Slackware is the best distro out there. [...]

I don't wish for this to be seen as a personal attack on Steve;
actually I don't blame him for countering what seemed to be a slur on
his favorite distribution.

BUT...

I really do think this mailing list can be put to better use than to
endlessly debate which distribution is better.  The fact of the matter
is that all of the surviving distributions have something to offer.
If they didn't, they wouldn't be around any longer.  (Think back a
year or two or three; there are definitely some distros that you don't
hear about anymore.)

The "which distro is better" question is a FAQ and a reasonable answer
ought to be on the PLUG web pages somewhere.  When someone takes it
upon themselves to ask this question, we should patiently (and politely)
post the link which provides the answer.

There are other questions that seem to get asked a lot too.  Things
like how to securely transfer a file from one machine to another and
how to deal with xinetd ought to appear in a PLUG authored FAQ with
answers.

Kevin