Introductions(Potato)

Eric Richardson plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 23 Jul 2001 14:32:32 -0700

Linux wrote:

> >From: Blake Barnett <Blake.Barnett@DevelopOnline.com>
> >To: "'plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us'"
> ><plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us>
> >Subject: RE: Introductions
> >Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 12:39:48 -0700
> >
> >If you really want to _learn_ linux, not just how to use it, but the
> >technical nitty-gritty --Go with Debian.  If you want to simply use linux
> as
> >you would use windows then Mandrake is probably best.
> >

> I just bought "Bebian GNU/Linux Bible" from http://bn.com for 34.95 plus
> $3.45 (I think) shipping (no Tax!!!!).  It covers Debian Potato. In looking
> at it, it seems very comprehensive. It covers most everything one would need
> to be aware of.  It does not get into depth on all issues.  It comes with a
> CD that has some of the Debian Packages.
Well,

When I was starting out on Debian 6 months ago, this book came with an
old Debian(slink?). I was told that ordering the Disks form
cheapbytes(link from debian.org) was the way to go and they are less
that $10. The comments on the book where okay, so you certainly are okay
there.

Once you get going upgrading from there is easy.

Eric