PLUG Web Site

Deepak Saxena plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 16 Jul 2001 16:34:31 -0700

On Jul 16 2001, at 15:19, Brian Cluff was caught saying:
> > 2)  A CVS would be cool, but the idea of everyone being able to update a
> live
> > project might be confusing.  I think something like this needs a dictator
> > run and to filter all the changes so that we end up with some sort of
> > consensus rather than a patchwork of ideas.
>
> You missunderstood me.   Thats pretty much what I ment.  Everyone would be
> able to have access to the most currect version though CVS, so anyone could
> do stuff to the plug site without much trouble, but to actually get the
> changes added to the site they would have to e-mail a patch file to someone
> that actually has permission to apply it, then that person would be the one
> to update the CVS tree as well.

First, yes, I'm still alive.

The best way to do this is to use a staging and a deployed CVS system.
The core web-dev people would have write access to the staging area,
and those not in the web-dev group would have to go through email to get
their changes in. The staging CVS tree would also have a staging website
associated with it (staging.plug.phoenix.az.us, password required) where
all the developers could see the latest changes.  At some point, when a
feature, add-on, etc reaches a point in the staging tree that it is ready
for the real website, it get's pushed from the staging CVS to the deployed
CVS.  The final step would be for a 'cvs update' to be run on the real
website.  This way no one has to manually apply patches to the final tree
and there's a complete history of what's been done.  If someone has to
manually apply patches, there's no way of easilly removing those unless
every single patch is kept around so we can do a reverse patch.

~Deepak

--
Deepak Saxena - deepak@csociety.purdue.edu - phone://602.790.0500

MontaVista Software, Inc. - Powering the Embedded Revolution - www.mvista.com

Muhammad my friend it's time to tell the world we both know it was a girl
back in Bethlehem and on that fateful day when she was crucified
she wore Shiseido Red and we drank tea by her side - Tori Amos