Resolving rpm Dependencies

der.hans plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 5 Jul 2001 20:04:54 -0700 (MST)

Am 05. Jul, 2001 schwäzte Simper, Brian D so:

> I am trying to install some Red Hat 6.2 patches in the form of .rpm
> files onto some Linux machines and there are some dependency problems on
> some of the files.  Many of the needed files have the ".so.0" extension
> and I don't know how to find where they might reside.  I don't have the
> option of trying apt-get with Debian at this time.  Does anyone have any
> suggestions on how to resolve rpm dependency problems?

If you're installing packages from CDs ( or even have semi-recent CDs laying
around ) try something like:

#!/bin/sh

for i in `find /mnt/cdrom -name \*rpm`
do
	rpm -l | grep $1
	if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then
		echo $i
	fi
done

Haven't done this for a couple of months. Don't haven rpm-based boxen on the
air, so make sure rpm -l gives you a list of the files in the rpm. The man
page on my deb box says it does.

Otherwise searching rpmfind.net or google as suggested works.

Remember to use autorpm or something to keep adding security updates.

ciao,

der.hans
--
# der.hans@LuftHans.com home.pages.de/~lufthans/ www.DevelopOnline.com
#  When I work, I work hard. When I play, I play hard.