UPS for Linux?

sinck@ugive.com sinck@ugive.com
Wed, 17 Jan 2001 07:37:10 -0700

\_ Hello All,
\_
\_ I'm trying to buy a UPS for my linux server, a Pentium 100.  What I want is
\_ something that will give the box (no monitor) about 5 to 10 mins of uptime
\_ so it can shut itself down, I'd also like it if the UPS either came with
\_ software to tell the linux system to shutdown, or if it had whatever cables
\_ you would need to get a Open Source program to do the same thing.
\_
\_ I'm sorry If this doesn't make sense, I just want something that will turn
\_ my system off if the power losses it, and I don't know what to look for.
\_
\_ Any ideas?

APC units typically have the the interface and software to go.
Usually the signals come in on a serial port. You may or may not need
a special cable.  Best Power units also have a serial interface and
have an OS listener program (bpowerd).

The biggest trick is to either feel comfortable building your own
cable or getting one with the unit.

For rating, a 400 VA should be sufficient unless you have some wacco
devices in there.

David