Problems with Mandrake 7.2

Joshua Eichorn jeichorn@burroak.com
Thu, 22 Feb 2001 14:13:27 -0700

Tyler Hall wrote:

> Greetings;
>

> I know you guys just talked about xinetd, and stuff, but I'm having
> problems with disabling FTP with Mandrake 7.2...
>

> I disabled it in the /etc/xinetd.conf, and I removed wu-ftp file from
> /etc/xinet.d
>

> [tyler@gizmo tyler]$ cd /etc/xinetd.d
> [tyler@gizmo xinetd.d]$ ls
> chargen  chargen-udp  daytime  daytime-udp  echo  echo-udp  imap
> ipop3  linuxconf-web  rexec  rlogin  rsh  swat  time  time-udp
> [tyler@gizmo xinetd.d]$
>

> and I did a HUP of xnetd -- but it's still allowing it...  I had Brian
> take a look at this, and he still can't figure it out, so it can't be
> that easy, but if anyone has disabled ftp in mandrake 7.2, please let
> me know..  If you would like to take a look at my box, email me, and
> i'll give you a temp account to look into it.
>

> Tyler Hall
>

> "It takes a minute to have a crush on someone, an hour to like someone
> and a
> day to love someone- but it takes a lifetime to forget someone."

generally you edit the wu-ftp file in /etc/xinet.d and set disabled to yes

you might also try restarting xinetd usint its init script
/etc/rc.d/init.d/xinetd restart

im not running mandrake 7.2 anymore so i can't test this, but it should
work.  If not set me up with a temp account and i'll ssh in and take a look
-josh