how to detect winmodems?

sinck@ugive.com sinck@ugive.com
Mon, 19 Feb 2001 14:22:10 -0700

I've been looking off and on at callerid compatible modems, and amazon
is offering a jaton wincommII at $20 or so, which seems like a good
price...provided it isn't an accursed winmodem.  It seems like it
isn't, but just grepping for "accursed windmodem" and getting no
results doesn't tell me that it isn't.   :-)

Would some kind (and preferablly knowledgeable) soul hit

http://db.jaton.com/samples/advanced/search.asp?numperpage=1&images=on&display=full&category=&searchstr=62210-0PFCAQ&searchfield=itemid

and see if there are winmodem hidden warning signs?

Personally, I think the line "Intel/Ambient 5631 Chipset" removes
worry, but what I know about modems is that I'm looking for caller id
support.  :-)

FWIW, other callerid modems are going $80 on amazon...hence my suspicion.

TIA.

David