SSH Tunneling

Charlie Bullen sw1006@swtravel.com
Sun, 11 Feb 2001 16:41:18 -0700

I am having trouble with an ssh tunneling problem. I need to be able to
access a private webpage behind our firewall. To date I have been able
to use 2 solutions, a bad one using either linux or windows and one that
is only usable with windows, bad  also.

1. dialing in   directly either under linux or windows.
2. over the public internet using a windows ssh client to establish a
tunnel and to forward my local port 80 thriugh the tunnel to the
server's port 80, behind the firewall. I can then  acces the page with
http://localhost

Under linux (mandrak 7.2) I can dialup to my ISP, establsh a ssh link to
our main server, forward my local port 80 to the remote port 80  and
view out home page by http://localhost, but I have not been able to view
the private page thatI need to use.

In windows what happens is that I establish the ssh connection between
myself and our primary server. Then with the ssh client, Secure
Netterm,  I designate the IP address of another server and port number
80 on that server as the location my port 80 is forwarded to.

This is the last function thaat I need to be able to do under linux in
order to enable several of our telecomuters to do everything they need
to on adaily basis under linux.

This is important because under windows we each crash  4-5 times a day
and it takes close to 10 minutes to reboot and get all the programs and
connections runnig the we use. When I do these functions from the office
I can work all dau under linux without crashing once.

Regards,

Charlie