Speaking of experience

Kevin Buettner kev@primenet.com
Mon, 5 Feb 2001 11:43:39 -0700

On Feb 5,  5:59am, George Toft wrote:

> [...] Once I realized Solaris
> includes the tools we are familiar with in /usr/ucb, I changed my
> path to put them first, and it looked like a Linux box.

Be careful with the tools that Solaris provides in /usr/ucb.  My
experience has been that some of them do not work all that well.
E.g, unless something has changed recently, ``cc'' is a K&R C
compiler.  You are much, much better off with gcc.

It's been a while since I've set up a Solaris box, but the first thing
I do is install a prebuilt gcc binary and then build an up-to-date gcc
with the prebuilt binary.  After that, I build/install the GNU tools
in /usr/local and put /usr/local/bin first in my path.

Kevin