Hard DSL Outage, MagusNet, Inc. is down

Wes Bateman wbateman@epicrealm.com
Sun, 4 Feb 2001 19:56:56 -0600 (CST)

Hey Hans, Jean, everyone :)

I'm using Ricochet for backup connectivity to my cable modem (I long for
DSL and non-restrictive access - @home has a ludicrous model for their
TOS).

Ricochet is pretty cool.  External modem comes with both serial and USB
cables.  Standard AT command set, so setup is a snap (identical to a
serial modem) for serial connection.  I build a kernel with USB support,
and that works pretty slick too.  USB is noticably faster.  I haven't
spent the $300 or so for a pcmcia card.  That would be nice as it would
draw from my notebook's two batteries rather than the rechargeable
external modem's battery.  I can get about six hours of life on the
external battery, but I get about ten hours on the notebook itself.  It's
minor though, because I'm usually getting AC power within a six hour
window.

Anyhow, latency kinda sucks.  It's tolerable, but ssh and the like, where
you're sending one keystroke per packet, aren't what you're used to with
wired connections.  It's really geared toward web browsing type activity,
although you can use any TCP/IP app.  Another thing is, I pay $75/mo. for
unlimited usage.  That only buys me a dynamic IP though.  It REALLY SUCKS
to have a dozen ssh connections all active and lose your connection,
reconnect and get another IP :(  They told me (they being wwc) that I can
get a static for another $10/mo.  I haven't jumped on that yet, I'm
spending way too much on 2-way pagers, mobile, and home connections as it
is.  I probably will though, as it will make it much more usable.  The
coverage from one of their light pole transmitters is only about a half
mile.  That means they need LOTS of them to saturate an area.  Therefore,
there are lots of blind spots that you'll encounter if you use it while
moving.  Also, you'll sometimes lose connectivity in buildings (although
I've mostly seen this with steel and glass high-rises and not wood and
brick homes).  Another thing with them is that due to their multiple light
post installation requirements, one city not playing ball, can cause a
large pocket of no connectivity.

The latency and reconnecting with a dynamic IP are the major drawbacks I
see.  I've thought about trying to keep a link up for a few days at home,
but I've only used it for mobile situations with my notebook thus
far.  Have to admit though, even with poor latency, the ability to do
sysadmin tasks from a bar is pretty appealing, huh? ;)

Anyhow, I can't really attest to its suitability for full-time
connections, but would be interested to hear if someone there does it :)

Good luck with it all,

Wes :)