AZ students,MS office. Help me!

Brian Cluff plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 30 Aug 2001 14:39:21 -0700

> PS:  Will Lotus stuff run on Linux?

Just the server runs on linux right now...

> Lotus is not free, but is there any guarantee StarOffice will stay free?
> In any case, I have the impression that the Lotus suite is pretty mature
and
> full featured.  That seems to be more than can be said of StarOffice.

Openoffice is GPLed so its not ever going to just go away, and openoffice is
to star office what netscape is to mozilla.
Sun's goal in trying to make money doesn't involve selling the actual
software.  They have the web portal version that they want to make money
from and they also moke lots of money selling training programs and
materials.  I'm also sure they are make a fair amount of money selling the
CD+Manual combo.

Anyway, worst case senario is that Staroffice goes pay only and everyone
that doesn't want to pay just either sticks with their free version or
installs openoffice.

Brian Cluff