ARTICLE: Every AZ student to get Microsoft Office

Todd Hought plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 29 Aug 2001 13:50:01 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 29 Aug 2001, Brian Cluff wrote:

> Wholy CRAP!!!  is this going to be a horrible setup for all the schools.  I
> feel for all of them!
>
> Not only are they stuck with MS, but they are all going to run what they
> will soon find to be a very uncomfortably slow, over the network version of
> the software, and they will also be at the mercy of everyone else on the
> same machine.  If one person manages to crash their software really good.
> everyone else will suddenly wonder where the application that they were
> working on suddenly went.
>
> $8.16 per student actually ends up more expensive than the deal they had
> before that was $40ish/machine for the same software suite with the added
> bonus that you could apply the money you put into the program to purchase
> individual titles that you could keep if you got out of the program.

So, if there is a student that isnt going to use the machine the whole
school year, (there's gotta be some, PhysEd Majors, you know :-) does my
tax money pay 8.16 for them, too? seems like quite the ripoff to me.

> This program sounds like a really good way to slow down all the bandwidth in
> arizona, I'll bet we all "feel" the day this goes online.

Cox better credit me for that day... :-)