why use 3rd party DNS - eg., ZoneEdit.com?

Rusty Carruth plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 27 Aug 2001 22:29:05 -0700 (MST)

> Or, your ISP charges large setup fees and significant monthly fees to
> provide the service.  My personal ISP wanted $45 setup and an extra $8 a
> month just for email aliasing.  With easyDNS I get all the aliasing I want
> plus domain forwarding plus other features plus domain name registration
> for $55 a year.  I save money.

yeah, that's a good deal, for some value of good and deal!

Also, as mentioned, you have no choice without a static ip.

Fiunally - for maximum reliability (to the rest of the world!)
you SHOULD have 2 DNS servers, in completely different physical
(and network-topological) locations.  Hard to do with only one
IP addr ;-)

So, having someone else do it SHOULD get you higher reliability,
AND you don't have to know how to set up DNS tables!

Oh - and you don't have to worry about the security holes
in bind, either.

Now, if everyone who had static IPs got together and ran DNS
for each other, we'd not need all those for-pay services (ah,
yes, just like 'the old days' ;-)

> >> Why use a 3rd party DNS like ZoneEdit.com or GraniteCanyon.com rather than
> >> running your own DNS server?  I'm curious what the pros and cons are.  (I
> >> can get the obvious stuff like handling dynamic IPs, but ... is there some
> >> benefit to letting somebody else handle your DNS lookups?)

see above ;-)

rc