UPS nomination

Jason plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 27 Aug 2001 19:18:01 +0000

Craig White wrote:

> Jason wrote:
> >
> > When I bought my APC BackUPS 650 at CompUSA, it was when California
> > was first having outages and there was an anticipated possiblity of
> > the same out here. Its saved me from at least 4 or 5 reboots since -
> > the kind that kill the clocks too. God knows how many of those 1/30th
> > of a second outages that only seem to down computers its blocked as
> > well. I also have my alarm clock plugged into it too, so I can save
> > "The power failed" as an excuse to be late occasionally, since I wont
> > ever be legitimately using it :-)
> >
> > I didnt even know APC had Linux drivers available for download when I
> > bought it. I just knew that of all the UPSes I've worked with in
> > businesses over the years, people seemed happiest with them, and I
> > havent personally known of one to fail yet. Basically, it was a brand
> > thing. When I learned they supported Linux as well, it only increased
> > my belief in the wholesomeness of APC as a good company.
> >
> ---------
> ah but let's be clear so everyone doesn't just blindly buy APC
>
> Not all APC UPS units support Linux - their Back-UPS do but their
> cheapies do not.

Really? My sole reason for not going with something cheaper than the
BaclUPS 650 was anticipated power requirements. And its not because of
the monitor either, that powers itself off. I actually anticipated a
LACK of linux support. When I made my purchase, it was with the
intention that it be able to keep the box up (with monitor off) in the
event of cycling power outages that would last an hour or two.

I havent plugged the thing into a serial port either. I dont feel like
digging thru my ISA cards for one that might still work... I have my
external 56k and my mouse, and thats it for serial ports. If I ever
get DSL, this may change. But Qworst never came thru (more on that in
another article tho.)

--
jkenner @ mindspring . com__
I Support Linux:           _> _  _ |_  _  _     _|