UPS nomination

Craig White plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 26 Aug 2001 23:02:47 -0700

"David A. Sinck" wrote:

> Miscellaneous: when I was buying my original box lo these many years,
> AZ had the next-to-last rank in power quality...only Alaska was worse
> off (go figure).  In my time here, that's been pretty much validated.
> OTOH, I imagine we're #47 now, letting California jump to #50 from
> wherever.  :-)
>
> And in a plea to the monitored everywhere, where would be a good place
> to eyeball billions of monitors that lets you pick frequency and such
> ("show me 19" @ 16x12 or better or I walk").  Or nominations for 19"
> monitors that can do same?
>
> I'm severely tempted by http://www.iiyama.com/product2/A902MT.HTM in
> everything but the price.

-------------
Yeah but it's a dry heat - I mean, the power interruptions are always
brief. Had one the other morning - lasted about 3 seconds, long enough
to shut off the tv and cable boxes but not long enough to reset the VCR
to the ol' 12:00 dancing display. The UPS systems have gotten so cheap
that everyone should have one for their fish tanks, digital answering
machines, etc., hey, you can even pick up a 320va from Fry's for under
$30 (the end of the dancing display on the VCR).

APC is nice but I found I could go cheap, hook it to my Windows 2000
machine and get non-software supported power supply on linux and use the
linux client to get clues from the Windows machine. I suppose I could do
it the other way around but for now, my main storage is on Windows.

and btw - no fair bragging about your young eyes, 1600 x 1200 on a 19"
monitor is too small for the 45+ crowd. What can I say, I come from the
land where 72 dpi is the screen resolution - not 96 dpi.

;-)

Craig