Vulnerability Count

Jason plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 25 Aug 2001 19:21:46 +0000

Kevin Buettner wrote:
> If you (mistakenly, IMHO)
> equate lower numbers with being more secure, then you'll find
> that the most secure version of Debian (or Red Hat) existed in
> 1997 and things have gotten steadily worse since!

This is, in fact, a reality due to the fact that far more people are
now using Linux. Vulnerabilities have to be discovered before they can
be exploited by those who lack the inteligence to do so themselves.
And generally speaking, the most destructive attacks come from  those
who are incapable of discovering vulnerabilities themselves, right? So
a far larger userbase makes for a riskier product.

There is something to be said for security thru obscurity after all.
The problem comes when a company (like the bells in the 80s and 90s)
actually starts to RELY on security thru obscurity...

--
jkenner @ mindspring . com__
I Support Linux:           _> _  _ |_  _  _     _|