[aztechlist] Looking for GUI designer generator

George K Fahnbulleh plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 24 Aug 2001 14:51:50 -0700

I would NEVER let users design their own reports.

First of all most users are not that sophisticated and savvy with
database schemas to be able to design reports.  In order to generate
good fast reports, the users need to be familiar with your database
schema.

If you're going to do parameterized reports are you going to allow the
users to write their own stored procedures?

Why not include report building as a service? Give them x number of
canned reports and build the rest as a service.

George K Fahnbulleh
eFormSystems

-----Original Message-----
From: Trent Shipley [mailto:tshipley@symbio-tech.com]
Sent: Friday, August 24, 2001 2:41 PM
To: PLUG; AZTechList
Subject: [aztechlist] Looking for GUI designer generator

We spend a lot of time tailoring our user interface so that it is
_j-u-s-t
s-o_ for the next customer.

It would be nice to just hand them the components and say "Here! Build
your
own @#$% user interface."  The same is true about reports, but more so.

<Generic Widget Cannery GWC>

What I'd really like is a generic (or abstract) GUI layout tool --
free-to-me-but-not-to-you (Berkeley class license)-- toolkit that would
let
me take a generic widget shape, attach it to a predefined class and then
bundle it all together in a canned VB-esque task delimited tool that
would
be proprietary.  It would be a layout and design meta-tool to package
code
into a canned GUI kit.  Windows and widgets in a box -- no programming
needed.

(Actually, an MS licensed development tool would go over even better in
this
shop than portable freeware.)

<How would I search for specified development tool?>

Trent Shipley

Work:
(602) 522-7502
mailto:tshipley@symbio-tech.com
http://www.symbio-tech.com

FREE COLLEGE MONEY
CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/zoU8wD/4m7CAA/ySSFAA/_fOolB/TM
Internet related? Please post it to the AZIPA Discussion List instead.
Neither technology or Internet related? Post it to the Off-Topic list.