Tivo - The spiffy Linux Box

John (EBo) David plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 23 Aug 2001 08:56:46 -0700

Kurt Granroth wrote:

> On Wednesday 22 August 2001 03:59 pm, John (EBo) David wrote:
> > Brian Cluff wrote:
> > > http: www.tivo.com...
> >
> > ahhh... now I know what tivo is (since I read on and looked at the
> > company URL).
>
> To *really* get an idea on the impact of TiVo (not just the company line),
> try searching for the TiVo hack and community sites.  TiVo completely changes
> the way you watch TV.  You stop thinking in terms of "prime time" shows or
> "must see tv friday" or whatever.  You just watch whatever you want, whenever
> you want.  This will revolutionize television.

I have not owned a TV in over 20 years...  and the two or three times a
year I need to do a brain-melt and veg out on StarTrek, DS9, ...  I go
over to a friend who is an avid fan...  Ed just got married though so my
camping out on the coutch might change ;-)

I remember the time that Arbitron ratings company called the hous and
wanted us to participate in their survey.  I lauged and told them that
we were not representitive audiences.  But they REALLY wanted us to
participate...  I thought for about a tripple could and asked "stistical
outliers?"  Well yes I was told.  Well, we did not watch TV all that
week so I wrote them a letter documenting why I had not watched TV and
detailing what we as a household "habitually" watch and why...

Well enough of this OT.

  Enjoy the show!

  EBo --