Tivo - The spiffy Linux Box

Kurt Granroth plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 22 Aug 2001 18:32:19 -0700

On Wednesday 22 August 2001 04:20 pm, sm wrote:
> Let's see if I remember this...
>
> A tivo box is basicaly a 60Mhz PPC running Linux with a couple proprietary
> modules for handling the MPEG equipment built into it.
>
> Am I right?

Basically, yes.  I was looking into the possibility of making something like
that on my own with the addition of a DVD drive to play out of region DVDs
and VCDs.  I was *very* discouraged at what could be done using Linux so far.
 It appears that most of the "real" multimedia code that TiVo uses is
proprietary.  The only way I could figure out how to make a PVR without
spending hundreds of man-hours would be to use Windows + ShowShifter and the
like.

'Course when I started figuring out all the costs, it came to about $450-500
which was *so* not worth it.  So I bought a TiVo :-)
            KDE -- Conquer Your Desktop