Tivo - The spiffy Linux Box

Brian Cluff plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 22 Aug 2001 15:48:39 -0700

> FWIW, Costco has had it for $249 for some time now.  I bought mine from
> Circuit City for $299 (or so, don't remember) and then got the ad from
Costco
> and got CC to give me the difference.  The handy thing there, too, is that
> you don't have to wait for it to be shipped.. I just picked it up and was
up
> and running some hours later.

How long have you had your tivo.  That had a long running $100 off, but they
recently killed that promotion.  Then they brought it back just recently.  I
know that at least 1 person asked me if I knew of a cheap place to get them
because they were shopping during the period when there was no promotion....
so I decided to pass along my tivo spam :)

> I assume you mean "I am NOW running..".  Is this with a 30 hour TiVo?  I
was
> under the assumption that only the one hard drive (20 hour) units could be
> upgraded.

D'oh...  Yeah, I am NOW running a 91 hour tivo.  Actually, unless you have a
very old 30 hour tivo, you have a 1 drive tivo as well,  but I believe that
they now have a way of upgrading the 2 drive units as well.  You just put
your new, bigger drive in and resize the partition... in a nutshell.   Along
those same lines... my Tivo is still a single drive tivo,  I still have room
to add another 91 hours of space :)  although I am now running my unit at
the best quality and I can tell you I have enough space that I can't imagine
ever needing any more.   I still have shows sitting on the drive from about
2 months ago when I did the upgrade, because they have never rolled off.

> It *is* very sweet.  I have a hard time doing without it now... but it
could
> be better.  I wish (way OT) that it could record more then one show at a
time
> and could overlap recordings based on priority.  For instance, if there is
an
> hour show that you kind of like and a half hour show that you really like,
it
> would record the first half our of the former show and all of the latter.

Yeah, recording 2 shows at once would be my first choice for new features,
but I seriously doubt that the hardware is capable of doing that.  My next
thing that is kinda a gripe is that I think that they should have a way that
you can either share the guide info between tivo so that you can buy a
second tivo and not have to pay for the service again.  I didn't mind at all
paying for it the first time, but since I can only watch one TV at a time, I
really don't want to pay for it again on a second unit.  If it was severly
discounted I wouldn't mind too much.... but oh well.   In reality there are
very very few shows that are on at the same time as others I want to watch
and with the new conflict resolution that they added to the 2.0 software I
almost never find something that I can't snag.... most things tend to come
on more than once, so if it can't grab it the first time it grabs in the
next.

Brian Cluff