Upgrading KDE 2.2

John (EBo) David plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 22 Aug 2001 09:02:28 -0700

Kurt Granroth wrote:

> Kurt Granroth
> KDE Developer/Evangelist

  Well brother Granroth (sorry, I couldn't resist the playing with the
Evangelist twist ;-)

  Well, met and thanks!

> If you are compiling from source, then this should give you a good hint:
>
> http://www.kde.org/install-source.html

Thank you,  I'll go try that.

> If you are installing from binaries, then no, there isn't.  Each vendor is
> free to package KDE in whatever way they see fit so some have dependencies
> that others don't.
>
> The package policy, though, is to have it so *all* dependencies can be
> satisfied either with packages on ftp.kde.org or on the CD-ROMs.  You should
> *never* have to go anywhere else to satisfy a KDE dep.  Although, I have
> heard rumors that Mandrake and maybe RedHat might be requiring stuff from
> Cooker/Whatever which is very bad (if true).

I was looking to upgrad an old distro, so it is likely that fishing
around for the RPM's will be a nightmere (and I cannot afford to spend
the time at the moment), so I think I'll go with the source option and
stuff all the binaries in something like /opt/kde2.2 or some such.  That
way I do not clobber my existing set up...

But this whole situation rases the problem that having a user base that
is several million strong (or however Linux and GNU is at this point) I
wonder if there is some way to set up the dependencies such that
multipul can be set up to coexist (and I mean really coexist).  Not
having spent much time thinking about it and just writing off the cuff,
I think this would require at least a general solution to the dynamic
library linkage that could deal with linking/loading against .so's of
specific revisions AND allow multipul older version to be able to
resolve...  Anyway I need to get to doing real work so catch ya'll

  EBo --