Linux in Schools

der.hans plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 20 Aug 2001 15:10:48 -0700 (MST)

Am 20. Aug, 2001 schwäzte m@netpro.to so:

> Here's an article that talks about a Colorado school switching
> to Linux:
>
> http://www.wired.com/news/school/0,1383,45862,00.html
>
> I think it would be a very, very good project for this LUG
> to get involved with the local school systems and encourage
> them to use Linux.  Many of us could probably even volunteer
> our time to help set things up and train people to administer
> the systems.  Or, people could volunteer to remotely adminster
> the systems for free.

Helping a school is actually one of the first projects we're hoping to get
going with AZOTO[1]. It should really be a PLUG project with support from
AZOTO where necessary.

I keep thinking we have an edge because Sequoia ( they host the west side
meetings ) is moving to Linux. Brian can help us a lot due to the experience
he has. Thinking about it, however, causes me to do the Homer ( "d-oh" ).
Rather than having Brian help us, we should help him. That would make it an
easier project. It would give us a success to stick under our belts when we
go looking for other schools or non-profits.

I have been waiting for our paperwork to get done because AZOTO doesn't yet
have 501c3 status. Helping Sequoia probably won't take any money, and if it
did donations could go directly to the school.

For the devel group, we might pick up educational programs the school needs
for our learning projects.

ciao,

der.hans

[1] The other project being the Open Source/Free Software conference in Mar.
--
# der.hans@LuftHans.com home.pages.de/~lufthans/ www.DevelopOnline.com
# Passwords are like underwear. You don't share them, you don't hang them on