anyone looking for a used IBM 704?

David P. Schwartz plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 19 Aug 2001 23:40:02 -0700

I picked up a used IBM PC Server 704 with two Pentium Pro 200/512k CPUs,
256MB RAM, 8 x 4.3GB fast/wide SCSI HDs, dual 430W hot-swap power supplies,
e-net.  Very clean.  I haven't powered it up yet, but supposedly it was
removed from service in fully operational condition.  You could set it up
as a server in your living room disguised as an end table / air filtration
system :-)  It's probably got Win NT loaded on it.  I think it's got a RAID
controller in it, too.

I realize you can get this kind of power in a $800 PC today, but there are
folks who will only buy things that are built like Sherman Tanks and have
the letters "I.B.M." on them.  Do you know anybody like that?

Also, does anybody know which Linux build would work best on this system,
in case I decide to use it as an email server?

-David Schwartz