sendmail configuration

John (EBo) David plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 16 Aug 2001 00:07:06 -0700

Thomas Mondoshawan Tate wrote:

> I had to do this very thing with my own sendmail configuration. There should
> be a set of files in /etc/mail called access and relay-domains, along with
> corresponding access.db and relay-domains.db files. These contain the rules
> for who can access the mail server, etc. The first two (without the .db
> extension) are plain text files. You'll need to edit the access file and add
> a line that says "<yourdomain> RELAY" (no anglebrackets). After editing that,
> do a "makemap hash /etc/mail/access.db < /etc/mail/access". This will rebuild
> the database. Restart sendmail and test it with a mail client on the new
> domain.

Thanks Thomas,

  As it turns out, I do not have either access or relay-domains in
/etc/mail.

I've also crawled around /usr/lib/mail and took a gander at the
configuration definitions. and found that I have the feature
"relay_entire_domain" defined in
/usr/lib/mail/domain/<Qualified_domain_name>.m4.  I am thinking that I
should probably try changing it to "relay_hosts_only" as the definitions
read:

relay_entire_domain
                By default, only hosts listed as RELAY in the access db
                will be allowed to relay.  This option also allows any
                host in your domain as defined by the 'm' class ($=m).

relay_hosts_only
                By default, names that are listed as RELAY in the access
                db and class 'R' ($=R) are domain names, not host names.
                For example, if you specify ``foo.com'', then mail to or
                from foo.com, abc.foo.com, or a.very.deep.domain.foo.com
                will all be accepted for relaying.  This feature changes
                the behaviour to lookup individual host names only.

I've tried this too, and think that I have forgotten some magical
step...  I remember that there was one magical step that took me hours
to find in the docs, and was a one line (ad to do XYZ do bal)...  But
like I said, it has been a year...

 EBo --