FW: Custom Recovery CD.

John (EBo) David plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 13 Aug 2001 10:37:04 -0700

"Furmanek, Greg" wrote:

> To be more specific I would like to create CD that
>
> 1. Boots kernel image.
> 2. Auto partitions drives.
> 3. Formats Drives.
> 4. Restores applications.
> 5. Restores data.
>
> All that with no assistance. (well maybe with the
> exception of putting the cd in the tray and turning
> the power switch)

sounds like creating your own custome distro with only the packages you
want on it and the data could probably be put in an RPM and treated like
any other package.  This assumes that the data is static or can be
downloaded from another machine or server.

Some time back I asked about creating a boot CD to replace the boot
floppy.  I did not have time to follow up on it.

I would also be interested in learning how to create a regular boot CD
so that I can have it automatically spawn programs like a firewall,
bridge, or gatway...

You know, aspects of this would make a wonderful meeting demo or HOW-TO
;-)  Anyone know enough about how to do various aspects of this?

  EBo --