Advice Please: SAXON, Xalan, JADE, LaTeX, and XSL:FO

Trent Shipley plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 10 Aug 2001 15:27:33 -0700

XSL Considered Harmful
by Michael Leventhal
May 20, 1999

Leventhal wrote about XSL before it was split into XSLT and XSL:FO

He argues:

1) CSS-2 + DOM are entirely adequate for interactive web applications.

2) XSL:FO can't be used for interactive documents.  It is for printed stuff.
The W3C shouldn't be concerned with printed stuff.  The W3C is therefore
wasting its time on FO and I am really angry at them because they could be
doing more important stuff.

3) DSSSL is so hard that even Michael Leventhal can't use it.  It is really,
really hard.  XSLT is just DSSSL repackaged.  It is just as hard and way too
weak.  Do all your document transformation using a generic EZ-to-write 3GL
language like BASIC, JavaScript, or PERL.  (??!)
     In _theory_ you could use XSLT for some part of developing or deploying
interactive content, but nobody is going to.  The W3C is wasting its time
here too.  My goodness, I am so very angry at them.

4) You can't use regular expressions in XSLT (or presumably DSSSL).  This is
superceeded by the X-Pointer standard.  Also, a properly implemented DSSSL
compiler should be built over Scheme, in principle this should give access
to a RegEx library.

-----

Obviously item 2 is irrelevant to me precisely because I intend to output my
dissertation as a printed document.

Item three I find hard to fathom.  DSSSL is doesn't look that hard to use to
me.  Recombining objects into procedural code every time you want to
re-order or alter the layout of a primary set of source text seems just
hideous.

DSSSL/XSLT may not be the 4GL declarative solution, but there must be a way
to engineer a usable 4GL declarative language for markup.