no HOME!

plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 8 Aug 2001 22:28:50 -0400

Need help.
I just powered off my notebook, came home from work and powered it back up.
No problems while at work.

when I logged in, I was told no home directory, so I wasplaced into /
Upon further inspection, /home was not a directory, but a file!
I unmounted, ran fsck (which reported nothing but good), and remounted.
same thing. If I do a df while mounted, it will report the corect stats
(i.e 6% full), etc. when I open the 'file' it is just a short garbage file.

I then did a dumb thing like 'cat /dev/hda6' (which is my home partition).
I whole bunch of stuff (binary) data wizzed off the screen until I ctrl-c'd it.

Anyone have any sugesstions to revover the partition? My last backup is probably
2-3 weeks old, and would hate to loose any data between that time.