Bash, Perl, Python???

Kevin Buettner plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 8 Aug 2001 15:22:26 -0700

On Aug 8,  1:55pm, Chris Cowan wrote:

> I'm interested in learning a scripting/programming language for automating
> some task on my Linux box...
>
> Does anyone have experience with Bash, Perl, Python or any others that I'm
> missing?

I have experience with Bash and Perl.  I use bash for my shell, but I
don't use it for scripting very much any more.  (There was a time though
when I did extensive bourne shell programming.)

I prefer to use Perl for most of my scripting.

> Any one language have more features than the other?

Go to Google and enter "Perl vs Python" as your search.  (This has been
debated extensively elsewhere and you can learn a lot about both languages
by reading these debates.)  You might also try searching usenet.

Kevin