hard drive partitions

George Toft plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 08 Aug 2001 08:00:53 -0700

Hi Rick,

With one big partition, you have to back up and restore if you change
Linux distros or reinstall from scratch.  With a separate /usr/local
and /home partitions, you can maintain your software installed and
change the distro and everything still works.  I did this as I switched
from Red Hat to Caldera to Debian to SuSE, which requires reformatting
the partitions.

Also, maintaining a separate /var partition shields you against some
hardlink security risk (the name of which I cannot remember).

George