is the list working?

Craig White plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 05 Aug 2001 14:16:13 -0700

Jiva DeVoe wrote:

> Here's some fun things... I wrote a little script to watch the rate of
> attempted infection of my box.  The first column is the Day, the
> second column(after the colon) is the hour, and the last column is the
> number of times code-red tried to infect me:
>
> jiva@bart:/var/log/apache$ grep -i default
> /var/log/apache/access.log.0 access.log | ~/code.rb
> 01:05 1
> 01:08 3
----
that doesn't work for me - Redhat 7.1 and I can't imagine why I would
want to know this but it did cause me to try some new grep comands
because I am decidedly weak in this area, so I did:

grep default /var/log/httpd/access_log | grep -c "05/Aug"

and that returned 148 for today.

thanks for making me stretch a bit - learning how to pipe to grep.

and much like this thread, that is a lot of wasted bandwidth ;-)

Craig