Balsa

Gary Nichols plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
03 Aug 2001 23:25:55 -0700

<me - rambling>

I agree - there are a lot of library dependancies that go with Evolution
(hell, with the entire Ximian Gnome 1.4 distro - ha).  But I will say
that if you do use a .deb or .rpm-based system (like Redhat 7.1), the
Ximian solution is the cat's meow.

Using Red Carpet, I've kept my notebook, workstations and servers
up-to-date with the latest RedHat 7.1 errata fixes, Gnome updates,
Evolution daily snaps... hell I got so into updating everyday that I
wrote a script that grabs the daily .rpm build of mozilla, downloads it
and installs it.  I live on the bleeding edge baby!  Yeah!

With the incredible pace of development between Gnome and KDE, I
sometimes sit back in absolute awe at the quality of software I'm
seeing.  I've been wanting Evolution + RedCarpet since before they were
a twinkle in Ximian's eye.  Now that I have them, I'm all mushy and
stuff.  :)

Speaking of twinkles, I wish Eazel hadn't died... Nautilus is soooo
pretty, but still slower than the other window managers.  I don't
'browse' my directories much (still a command-line guy), but when I do
Nautilus makes 'em so purty with thumbnail previews, and all kinds of
other eye-candy.  Kind of like OS X w/o the $129 price tag. *snicker*

I was wondering the other day just what it was that made me decide not
to use Windows anymore.

Was it that I don't play many games nowadays?  Ok maybe.
Is it that I have a dislike for Micro$haft and the borg-like management
team that runs it?  Probably.
Is it that I prefer open-source programs to closed?  Absolutely.
Or perhaps I know what it really is... the thrill of getting daily
updates of 90% of the software I use on a daily basis.  It's like a box
of chocolates... ya never know what you're gonna get!  (Hey, that was a
Gumpism... kinda like a Gimpism only not as pretty and in RGB format)

What the hell did my better half put in this coffee?

</rambling>