Mail trouble

Scarlett plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 1 Aug 2001 05:58:31 -0700

On Wednesday 01 August 2001 12:25 am, you wrote:
> Am 31. Jul, 2001 schwdzte Scarlett so:
> > You can use ssh with fetchmail to get your mail via pop in a secure
> > fashion.:) If anyone is interested let me now it is fairly simple.
>
> I presume that you have a shell account on the pop server, though. If you
> can pop over ssh without having a shell account or any special setup by the
> admin on the other side, then I'm definitely interested in knowing how :).
>
> Doing it with a shell account is still useful, though, so, yes, please let
> us know how :). For those who aren't aware, this method allows pretty well
> any tcp protocol[1].
>
> cioa,
>
> der.hans
Yes I am sorry I didn't specify that. It works best (without user intervention) when
you have RSA keys set up and the public key
in the authorized_keys. The passphrase must be empty if you don't want to
interact.(Unless someone knows different) Then in your fetchmailrc enter

poll  <yourhosthere> via localhost port <openporthere> with proto pop3:
user <usernamehere> with password <passwdhere> is  <systemname> here
preconnect "/usr/local/bin/ssh -f <nameofmailhosthere> -L <sameportasabove>:<nameofmailhosthere>:110 sleep 20 </dev/null >/dev/null";

Scarlett