Samba Swat

John (EBo) David plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 31 Jul 2001 23:47:25 -0700

"David A. Sinck" wrote:

> \_ SMTP quoth John (EBo) David on 7/31/2001 21:43 as having spake thusly:
> \_
> \_ Matt Alexander wrote:
> \_ >
> \_ > Might I suggest "kill -HUP <pid>" instead?  I made the dire mistake once of leaving out the dash when I was trying to HUP a daemon...  ie.  kill 1 12345
> \_ > Yeah, my boss wasn't too happy about that...
> \_
> \_
> \_ ouch!  Remind me of the time I was cleaning up one of the professors
> \_ research machines and did a "rm * .o" instead of a "rm *.o"...  The
> \_ machine had not been backed up in over a year.  I remember sitting there
> \_ thinking "this command should not take that l- SH!T"
>
> You missed the pounding of the keyboard for ^C that you can't seem to
> find fast enough.

:-) Yes to the accompaning "SH!T, SH!T, SH!T, SH!T, SH!T" to EVERY ^C
stroke.  Of course the profession in question was standing 2 feet away.
It would have been worth the picture my face held as he turned to me and
asked "what'e wrong?"

> I *swear* have never ever ever done that in /etc.

or doing a rm -rf from anyplace important...

Then of course there is the:

Makefile:
  clean:
         rm -rf foo bar *~

which on DOS matches everything.  Imaging working for a couple of days
of DOS porting using DJGPP, etc., and doing a "make clean" before
packaging the distro...  hmmm... where did everything go?!?!

no... I've NEVER EVER DONE THAT!  ;-)

  EBo --