secondary mx & qmail

plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 26 Apr 2001 12:06:33 -0500

First of all, thanks to all who
replied on the script (code) to
remove spaces and uppercase from a ton of files.

First Question:
I need to provide secondary mx for a domain. I am running qmail.
I have placed an entry in rcpthosts for the domain and also
virtualdomains.  The entry in virtualdomains points(deleivers) to a
user on the system (mine).

Problem is this, anyone who uses my server as their smtp and sends
a message to the domain I have in virtualdomains has the message
immediatley delivered to the user listed in virtualdomain file. (Hope
that is clear).

What I am attempting is to have the mail held in queue until
the mail server I am doing secondary mx for somes back up.
(They have a flaky connection). If, after a period of time,
then it will deliver to the user listed in my virtualdomains file.

Can anyone offer me some guidance here?

Second question:
I am about to install an Exchange server (under duress). What I would
like to do is keep the Exchange box on my Internal network, so it can play
nice with the other apps (e.g Goldmine, voice-mail system, etc).

I would like to keep my current qmail server and have it route all
mail coming in to the Exchange server via some ipnat mapping on
my OpenBSD firewall.

I am certainly looking for some input on the design for this whole issue.

v/r
Mike