Debian: Need help with corrupted dpkg database

Shawn T. Rutledge plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 18 Apr 2001 00:00:58 -0700

On Tue, Apr 17, 2001 at 11:40:26PM -0700, Bob George wrote:
> Well, I'm stuck good and hard. Had an unfortunate encounter with a power
> cord, and after a painful run-through with fsck, "apt-get upgrade" or
> anything similar ends with an ugly "dpkg: parse error, in file
> `/var/lib/dkpg/available' near line 2" I noticed a number of problems with
> files that seem related when going though the fsck process, so I suspect the
> database is corrupted. I've run through the manual pages for dpkg and
> others, but nothings jumping out at me. Can anyone give a quick hint as to
> where to start rebuilding a corrupt database?

No, not really, but whatever you do don't try to upgrade to the latest
Woody stuff right now... libc 2.2.1 gets installed and I suspect it was what
caused my latest round of grief and prompted starting over clean with
Progeny instead.  That's what I spent parts of last weekend doing (in
between taxes (on the Mac because Linux Netscape wouldn't run!) and
hauling two truckloads of old leftover construction debris to the dump.
And now, even on totally stock Progeny, Netscape still won't run.  Neither
will Mozilla.  Bleargh.  I think I'm going to have to install stock
Potato on another fast box and run it via the network until they get
their act together, because I don't want to do without some other newer
stuff.

--
  _______                   Shawn T. Rutledge / KB7PWD  ecloud@bigfoot.com
 (_  | |_)          http://www.bigfoot.com/~ecloud  kb7pwd@kb7pwd.ampr.org