physical security humor

der.hans plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 11 Apr 2001 22:49:49 -0700 (MST)

Am 11. Apr, 2001 schwäzte Kimi A. Adams so:

> Damn, that's funny!  I think it's the most secure server I have ever heard
> of!  LOL.

I know of one to match it, though the actual drywall might give the one
listed on slashdot an edge :).

When I was working for some to remain unnamed large company here in town
one of my fellow sys_adms related a story about a box he had to hunt down
in order to turn off a mail server. This was, I believe, back in the 80s
and it took him more than 3 months to find the machine. He knew the
machine existed because it would call in daily for newgroups updates.

Turns out the machine was at another group of unsaid large company and the
other group had been dissolved. The office space, for whatever reason, was
sitting empty, but still powered up. The machine was in a closet with no
connection save the phone line it was using to call in for usenet updates.

Personally, I think calling for usenet is not a call for help, rather a
sign it's time to be put out of your misery :), but this was back in the
days when usenet was good...

The box was probably running *NIX System V R3, but I don't remember for
sure.

ciao,

der.hans
--
# der.hans@LuftHans.com home.pages.de/~lufthans/ www.YourCompanyHere.net ;-)
#  Only wimps use tape backup: _real_ men just upload their important