Resource Help

plug@arcticmail.com plug@arcticmail.com
Thu, 28 Sep 2000 00:23:23 -0700

I never use dselect any more.  Typical usage of apt:

apt-get update          # Update the local package index
apt-cache search game   # Search the local package index for
                        # the word "game"
apt-cache show freeciv  # Display details about the "freeciv" package
apt-get install freeciv # Download and install the "freeciv" package
                        # and any packages upon which "freeciv" depends
apt-get dist-upgrade    # Download and upgrade every currently installed
                        # package to the latest version
apt-get remove freeciv  # Uninstall the "freeciv" package

I do some things with "dpkg":

dpkg --list               # List all installed packages
dpkg --listfiles freeciv  # List all of the files that belong to the
                          # "freeciv" package
dpkg --search /bin/ls     # Display the package that owns /bin/ls
dpkg --install foo.deb    # Install a .deb that you stumbled across

Once you're comfortable with "potato", you can live on
the edge.  Back up your system, alter /etc/apt/sources.list
to use "woody" instead of "potato" and simply do

apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade

and your system will now have the latest that woody
has to offer.  I've been running woody (and doing
update/dist-upgrade about once a week) for some time
now, and haven't had any problems.