dist evals[1]

plug@arcticmail.com plug@arcticmail.com
Wed, 27 Sep 2000 17:52:04 -0700

If you wanted to dig in and learn a LOT about
the guts of a Linux system and all it entails,
something like linuxfromscratch would be super.
Kinda like building your own PC clone from
scratch--you learn what to do, and what not
to do.

My question is, with 4,000+ packages available
for (Linux|*BSD), and (tens|hundreds|thousands)
of (employees|volunteers) tracking the latest
version of each package and building a new
(.deb|.rpm) every (hour|day|week), exactly how
maintainable is a linuxfromscratch system?

On my woody Debian Linux system, I do an
"apt dist-upgrade" roughly once a week, and
the number of (changes|bug fixes) from week
to week is not small.  If I had a high-speed
connection, I would probably dist-upgrade
every night. I make an effort to use .debs
whenever possible, and resort to pristine
.tar.gz source when the .deb is REALLY
inconvenient, like when I need something
highly customized.