Terminal setup

der.hans PLUGd@LuftHans.com
Tue, 26 Sep 2000 10:08:21 -0700 (MST)

Am 26. Sep, 2000 schwäzte Art Wagner so:

> Hi all,
> I've got a problem for you folks to consider and play with;
> I have a brand new Cisco 675 router I have to setup.  The initial
> setup of the username and password MUST be done through
> the serial port of the Cisco at 9600 8N1, via a null modem cable.
> The problem is I can't get minicom to stop thinking it is driving
> a modem. What I really need is a way to make my Linux system
> think it is a dumb serial terminal connected via a null modem
> cable to another system (the Cisco) via /dev/ttyS0 at 9600 baud
> 8bits, no parity, 1 stopbit (8N1). I have played with minicom

Art,

Use kermit. The package is ckermit under debian, don't know about other
dists. It's available from Columbia Uni or something, e.g. whereever it
originates. Searching for it via google or freshmeat should lead you to
the right place.

Kermit's what I've been using for serial communications for years.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  der.hans@LuftHans.com   home.pages.de/~lufthans/   www.Opnix.com
#  Like the maid, I don't do (M$)Windows. - der.hans