redhat tries apt-get

der.hans PLUGd@LuftHans.com
Tue, 26 Sep 2000 00:01:06 -0700 (MST)

Am 25. Sep, 2000 schwäzte Kevin Buettner so:

> This came up today on one of the internal Red Hat lists.  It is my
> understanding that there will be a part of the service that will be
> permanently free even after the trial period.  (I was told last week
> that it'd be free for five or fewer machines.  I've just sent a query
> to one of the internal lists asking for a clarification on this
> point.)

Cool. Please let us know the answer if it's allowed to come to the
outside.

> Obviously, Red Hat expects to make money from the enterprise customer
> who needs help in managing and upgrading their systems.  For this type
> of customer, it's probably well worth it.

That's a model nobody's really taken off with. LinuxCare was trying, but
had some other probs that interfered with the business. Don't know how
well they're doing. Bynari was trying to do it, but I don't know how
successful they've been. AFAIK neither was offering a business dist.

In software the money is in support (under current circumstances).
Companies have greater need of official support and maintenance. When I
was at Motorola we were trying to pay for official support from RedHat. We
had a good sys_adm team and supporting Linux wasn't going to be too
difficult for us, but we still wanted a support contract in case there was
a problem at a level or urgency beyond our manpower.

> > It doesn't solve the problem when we do it here. We need to complain on
> > lists where the RedHat marketing people hang out :(.
>
> An excellent point.  In general, it won't help to complain about a
> problem of any distro in this forum.  The best that can happen by
> bitching about it here is to learn of a workaround; or the fact that
> a supposed bug is actually a feature.
>
> If you use Red Hat Linux and have encountered a bug, the place to
> report it is at
>
>     http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/

Cool. You don't have to register to search it, either. The dependency tree
thingy's pretty cool.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  der.hans@LuftHans.com   home.pages.de/~lufthans/   www.Opnix.com
#  The only way for a woman to change a man