SSH for Debian

der.hans PLUGd@LuftHans.com
Sun, 24 Sep 2000 02:52:36 -0700 (MST)

Am 23. Sep, 2000 schwäzte Blake B. so:

> Why aren't there .debs available for debian? I'd really like to be able to

Um, debian's had ssh packaged longer than any other dist. Several years.
It used to be ssh1, but they switched to OpenSSH some time ago.

Add the following to /etc/apt/sources.list:

deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib
non-free

What I want to know is why the other dists don't have OpenSSH? There were
probs with making ssh avail in the .us, which is why debian's had it on
non-us, but OpenSSH fixed the license probs and import/export of crypto
stuff was relaxed.

> use dpkg / apt-get for ssh on multiple boxes. The only thing I can guess is
> that it's a licensing issue, but there's nothing in non-free or contrib. I'm
> happy to create my own packages... but I wonder why Debian isn't supporthing
> this?
>
> There should be no reasons why it's not included in the distribution as far
> as I can see. (The OpenSSH implementation anyway.) Can anyone clarify this
> for me?

Exactly. Neither RedHat or Mandrake have it. SuSE did, but only for the
non-US dist. I'm told RedHat 7.0 will finally have it.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  der.hans@LuftHans.com   home.pages.de/~lufthans/   www.Opnix.com
#  Science is magic explained. - der.hans