directory Syncing

plug@arcticmail.com plug@arcticmail.com
Thu, 21 Sep 2000 13:21:09 -0700

rsync is best.  IIRC, rdist has licensing issues,
which is one reason for the creation of rsync.

Assuming you have sufficient (root) privileges (root),
rsync works (root) just dandy (root) between two local
directories.

I have one system where hardware RAID wa$n't an option,
I didn't want to mess with software RAID (the data on
the filesystems are "reasonably static"), so a few times
a day I have a cron job kick off an rsync to sync the
filesystems on the "primary" hard disk with their
counterparts on an alternate hard disk.  My hope is
that this, combined with Amanda tape backups, will
keep our downtime/data loss to a minimum when the
primary hard disk fails.

Ja, ja, I would prefer a hardware RAID $olution...