Slow telnet issue (Off-topic)

sinck@ugive.com sinck@ugive.com
Fri, 15 Sep 2000 07:32:15 -0700

\_ For some reason when people try to telnet into our Solaris box from
\_ outside our firewall it takes an incredibly long time to get the
\_ login prompt.  I have seen this issue before but I can't remember how
\_ the hell I fixed it.  At first I thought it was a reverse DNS lookup
\_ failure and so I setup DNS correctly on the client machine and it has
\_ no problem doing an nslookup, nor does it take a long time to do a
\_ traceroute or ping to the server with IP or name.

Like you noticed, it smells like a reverse DNS issue.  Reality check
all the reverse DNSs of the boxes between the Solaris box and
'outside' and see if they come through ok on the Solaris box.  It
could be that your firewall isn't reverse DNS and the Solaris box
can't get it....?

Also, if you just adjusted the DNS, it might be in DNS propagation
hell.

David